A Monthly exploration in spiritual awareness: September 1, 2026
There is a profound
distinction between being short of money and having a consciousness of lack. A
person may temporarily have very little money and yet possess tremendous faith,
creativity, intelligence, and spiritual power. Likewise, someone may have millions
of dollars and still live in fear that there will never be enough. This is why
the great metaphysical teachers repeatedly taught that prosperity begins in
consciousness rather than in the bank account. Eric Butterworth wrote that our
personal welfare begins with consciousness rather than with Wall Street or the
economy, and Charles Fillmore taught that true prosperity is first an inner
awareness of inexhaustible spiritual substance. Financial struggle, therefore,
is not necessarily evidence of spiritual failure. There are very real outer
causes, economic conditions, illness, injustice, lack of opportunity,
unexpected expenses, poor decisions, and circumstances beyond our control.
Metaphysics does not ask us to deny these things. It asks us not to give them
the final word.
One of the deepest causes
of prolonged financial struggle is the belief that our supply exists somewhere
outside of us. We begin thinking, My employer is my source. My customers are
my source. The government is my source. This one person, opportunity,
investment, or circumstance must provide for me. Then fear enters because
anything outside us can change. Joel Goldsmith taught something radically
different: money, employment, business, and income are not supply itself; they
are forms through which supply appears. The deeper supply is the infinite life,
intelligence, creativity, wisdom, love, and divine activity within
consciousness. This changes the prayer from, Spirit, please send me some
money, to something far more powerful: Spirit, reveal through me the ideas,
opportunities, relationships, courage, creativity, and right action through
which my good can appear. We stop begging the universe and begin realizing that
we are participants in an infinite creative process.
Another source of financial
limitation is the repetition of scarcity. Many people unknowingly pray for lack
all day long: I can't afford it. Money is hard to make. Everything costs too
much. Nothing ever works for me. Rich people are greedy. I'll probably never
have enough. These statements may describe a present appearance but
repeated emotionally they can gradually become an identity. Charles Fillmore
taught that ingrained beliefs about money being difficult to obtain must be
replaced by a consciousness of abundance, while Ernest Holmes emphasized faith
as thinking beyond present appearances and trusting the creative activity of
Spirit. The metaphysical correction is
not foolishly pretending that bills do not exist. It is refusing to make a
temporary condition into a permanent spiritual identity. Instead of saying, I
am broke, we can say, I am presently meeting a financial challenge, but I
am not limited to this condition. Infinite Intelligence within me knows the way
forward.
There is also the matter
of worthiness and receiving. Some people consciously want prosperity while
unconsciously believing that money is corrupt, that spirituality requires
poverty, that other people deserve success more than they do, or that asking
for more is selfish. Such beliefs create an internal contradiction: one part of
consciousness says, I want abundance, while another says, I should
not have it. Butterworth's Spiritual Economics teaches that the goal
is not merely accumulating money but developing the consciousness through which
substance can flow as needed. Money itself is neither holy nor unholy. It is a
means of exchange, a tool, an enabling energy. In loving hands it can feed
people, educate children, employ workers, build homes, support ministries,
create beauty, care for animals, fund research, and relieve suffering. There is
nothing spiritually noble about unnecessary deprivation. The correction is to
become comfortable saying: I am willing to receive greater good so that I may
live more fully, give more freely, and express more completely the life Spirit
has placed within me.
But metaphysical prosperity
is not merely positive thinking. Consciousness must eventually become action.
Divine ideas arrive as inspirations, introductions, impulses, inventions,
telephone calls, new skills, business ideas, changes of direction, and sometimes
the uncomfortable realization that something we have been doing no longer
works. Prosperity teachings specifically emphasize that prosperity frequently
appears first as an idea and that we must be willing to recognize opportunities
and accept change. This may be where many prayers/affirmations for prosperity
appear to fail. We ask Spirit to open a door and then insist that it must be
the same old door we have been knocking on for twenty years. Spiritual
prosperity requires listening. It asks, How may I serve? What value can I
create? What do people need that I can provide? What talent have I ignored?
What must I learn? What should I release? The prospering consciousness does
not merely visualize the harvest; it plants something.
Finally, the great
spiritual correction to financial struggle may be summarized in the Master Mind
Jesus' teaching, “Seek first the kingdom.” The metaphysical interpretation is
not that we ignore money, but that we stop making money our god. We seek first
the inner kingdom, the consciousness of Spirit, sufficiency, wisdom, love,
creativity, and divine possibility, and allow the outer forms to follow.
Fillmore compared spiritual substance to the air around us: abundance may be
present, but we must consciously open ourselves to receive and use it.
Goldsmith similarly taught that we move from a material sense of supply to a
spiritual sense of supply, recognizing that the kingdom of supply is within
consciousness. So perhaps the most powerful daily prosperity prayer is not
“Give me money,” but: “Spirit within me, remove every belief in fear,
limitation and unworthiness. Open my mind to divine ideas. Open my eyes to
opportunities. Give me courage to act, wisdom to manage what I receive,
generosity to keep good circulating, and faith to know that no present
condition can define my future. I accept that I live in an abundant universe,
and I now permit that abundance to express through me in useful, joyful and
prosperous ways.”
Keep the faith!
Rev-Bates
En Espanol: Rev Bates en español, El Camino a Una Vida Maravillosa
Click here for Rev-Bates Archives
Haga clic aquí para ver el canal El camino hacia una vidamaravillosa
Click here for The Way to a Wonderful Life Channel
Make a faith offering to this ministry if you feel it in your heart to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment